Dynacord Amplifiers

Re: Dynacord Amplifiers

Postby Snap » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:16 am

An old fashioned 75 watt power stack! I think it rivals any Mashall heads stack.. at least in glamour! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

All these are Dynacord DA15 and DA16 amps in different versions.

From top to bottom and left to right:

Red DA15/N (From a friend's... about going home. Hence the family picture before departure)
Green DA15/V (My wife's main amp AKA: "Señorita Pepis")
Blue DA15/N (My main amp)
DA16/V (My wife's (and my) trusty spare amp) -Late DA15 and all DA16 amps were always red with a blackface control panel. Some fun was lost with that change...
DA16/N (From another friend currently getting tested and inspected due to poor performance and funny noises. We'll take care of it for a while)
Attachments
DSC03952a.jpg
DSC03952a.jpg (238.07 KiB) Viewed 1329 times
Snap

Postby rosstiger » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:54 pm

hi snap - just discovered this forum and your remarks about the dynacord twen. i got one from ebay a few weeks ago (an old silver one from the first series); actually this one doesn´t sound too polite (i also heard a red one from the later series which i didn´t like); you can get some nice crunchy tones, even with single coils; still, i´d be very interested to know the differences to the silvertone 1482; i might try to mod it. do you have schematics? thanks so much, chris
rosstiger

Postby Snap » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:53 pm

Yes, those amps are not polite, they behave more in the Neil Young with the Crazy Horse kind of sound. Some guys would die for it and some might hate it... specially if looking for a pristine clean amp. The Danelectro made Silvertone 1482 is not a polite amp either, it's another small crunch machine. Is that what are you looking for?
Snap

Postby rosstiger » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:47 pm

wow - quick reply. well, i was looking for the silvertone schematics (i do have the twen´s schematics), and have your suggestions what to mod in the twen to get closer to the 1482 sound. thanks
rosstiger

Postby rosstiger » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:14 pm

hi snap, just noticed you know the hall jazz too; a friend of mine bought one thru ebay - he´s not too happy and offered it to me; i´m gonna check it out on monday. i understood i best bring an adapter 6.3mm to din, so i can test the mic-input as well? (but which din-pins have to be wired to hot and ground?) is this amp based on a particular american amp too (like the twen)? i´d love to hear an old da 15 (the one you´re ravin about)... ross
rosstiger

Postby Snap » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:54 pm

rosstiger wrote:wow - quick reply. well, i was looking for the silvertone schematics (i do have the twen´s schematics), and have your suggestions what to mod in the twen to get closer to the 1482 sound. thanks

Click here and enjoy. ;)

About the low headroom of the Twen the quickest solution is replacing the huge 270K plate resistor in the second preamp stage by a 100K. There are further mods to make it cleaner and increasing headroom, but this is the main sucker in this circuit.

This is mod I draw a while ago when I had a Twen, but in the end I sold it and never tried it, but it would be an start to get the Twen closer to the 1482 without too radical circuit changes... well, excepting the vibrato.

The schem is quite small due to the board size restrictions, just ask me if you want me to send you a high resolution schem.
Attachments
Twen 1482 modb.jpg
Twen 1482 modb.jpg (136.42 KiB) Viewed 1136 times
Last edited by Snap on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snap

Postby Snap » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:59 pm

rosstiger wrote:hi snap, just noticed you know the hall jazz too; a friend of mine bought one thru ebay - he´s not too happy and offered it to me; i´m gonna check it out on monday. i understood i best bring an adapter 6.3mm to din, so i can test the mic-input as well? (but which din-pins have to be wired to hot and ground?) is this amp based on a particular american amp too (like the twen)? i´d love to hear an old da 15 (the one you´re ravin about)... ross

The Jazz is a nice simple little amp for home playing, tiny clubs... Cannot remember similitudes with US amps. I'd have to check it again.

About the DIN, check this thread.
Snap

Postby rosstiger » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:35 am

thanks so much. obviously i was too tired last night, because i was at the connector-page already but overlooked your DIN-explanations.
you confused me a bit with your remarks about the twen, suggesting a smaller plate-resistor to make it sound cleaner. i thought modding it to 1482-specs would mean making it even dirtier?
rosstiger

Postby Snap » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:25 am

Oops I though you wanted it cleaner and with better headroom.

Yes, the Silvertone distorts even faster and compress a lot. just look at the schem above. The 1482 channel has a 330K plate resistor and a 2K2 cathode resistor. You don't need to check the ECC83 curve charts to see that this single stage will have a very narrow headroom and will chop the signal so fast. This why I planned this mod. The idea was Keeping the Twen channel almost untouched for a milder crunch and reconverting the vibrato into a dirtier 1482 channel. These two channels will interact so the Neil Young thing can be achieved.

As I told you before, I never tried this mod in the end. I sold the amp because I badly love the character of the pure pentodes. I much prefer them better than 6V6 and 6L6 beam tetrodes so I don't want them in my amps. My thing are EL84, EL34 and 7591 as power tubes, or even the smaller bottles like ECL86 and the likes.
Last edited by Snap on Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snap

Postby rosstiger » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:21 am

i understand - 2 channels; that´s cool; i might try that. thanks
rosstiger

PreviousNext

Return to West Germany