Newbie, first jazz guitar

Newbie, first jazz guitar

Postby karlossus » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:04 pm

Hello.

I'm new to the board and new to German arch tops, but I have to say I've fallen head over heels in love with these guitars. So much so that I'm on the brink of buying my first one. This board seems like the place to come to find out more about these guitars and glean some sound advice.

I'd like something that plays well both acoustically and with a pick up. I really like the integrated metal pickup/scratch plate look and have my eye on a few guitars on ebay at the moment.

However I would really appreciate any advice you guys have to offer when it comes to buying these guitars. I've seen this guitar also

http://www.classicrockguitars.nl/site/i ... &Itemid=53

I am sure this is a reputable shop and certainly they have been very, very helpful via email. It sure looks nice to me, but then so do so many other guitars.

I know this Framus (Riviera) is probably machine made with a laminated top but it has a nice look, a truss rod and the all important pick up (plus a nice looking hard case). Would you guys say this is a good deal or are there better out there? Would it be too much to expect to get hand built, all wood, a truss rod, a reputable seller, the all important pickup AND a price like this?

Thank you.

Karl
karlossus

Re: Newbie, first jazz guitar

Postby Snap » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:10 pm

750€ for a late Riviera with the budget Schaller pickup model?! :shock: :shock: :shock: Way too expensive!!!!!

For that price you can get most any solid hand carved german guitar sold in ebay. The Riviera was a budget laminated Framus model. 300€ is already a bit too expensive for it. (500€ for a shop is usual too).

Late Framuses leave a lot to be desired regarding the acoustic tone. Schallers are good when plugged. No concerns in that department. But these late guitars are flimsy in the heel and headstock joints. They fail too often. Not a very good buy IMO. If you are appealed by Framus, better look for pre '58 guitars.
Snap

Postby lacquercracks » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:22 pm

yes thats way too much. at that price you can get some really good stuff.

you should go try some before you buy...

Does the guitar have to have a modern slim neck or is it ok if it has a more oldfashioned chunky neck ?

Do You prefer playability over sound or sound over playability or both or...

I might have some ideas for you
lacquercracks

Postby lacquercracks » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:51 pm

:lol: yep !

those broadways will be a thousand times better than the framus... I think.

but if you like very "modern" necks these are maybe not right. To me they have been very easy to adapt to though - and they are not all chunky..

soundwise they will be hard to beat I think....

Arnold Hoyers will be easier to adapt to -they have gibson like necks....somehow ...

the one the seller describes as being very loud might be worth having a extra look at....he will also post a video...

One of my broadways is probably my favourite guitar....I think....most of the time....it varies a bit ...last night it was ;) ahh forget it . I dont know, but its for sure one of my favourites.

These days I also like my Kurt Seifert very much, and it wasnt expenssive either...but plays very comfy and sounds great.
lacquercracks

Postby hoyerfriend » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:06 pm

Hi

this Tellson might be a good starter too?
I never had one but reviews around here are quite good (or is it only cracks speaking positive??). This one is laminated too (?) but won´t go much higher than around 150.- max. 200.- €

Ok - Snap was only suggesting Rodebald Hoyers - in this case you may have to expect - ehemm - somewhat bulky necks beeing more on the narrow side - may be not the best to start with.

I would go for an Arnold Hoyer like this Esquire. Will have a very comfortable straight neck. Has a solid top and laminated back. Price is resonable - I guess you could meet with the seller even somewhat below. This one is quite a rare Esquire as it is blond - they are mostly sunburst.

Apart from that I am still planning to sell one or two of my Hoyer Solist - if you are interessted send me a PM

edit
One of my broadways is probably my favourite guitar.
does it beat the Lang?

BTW: Lang is always a good choice too :mrgreen:
Last edited by hoyerfriend on Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hoyerfriend

Postby karlossus » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:08 pm

WOW! Now that was quick! Thank you!

To be fair the seller was willing to make me an offer but it's not as cheap as you suggest Snap. I don't want to spend 750, 500 is as high as I'd like to go...

And thanks for the ebay links, I have most of those on my watch list but I fear that they'll go for a lot more than my budget. I LOVE the broadways, but really want to pick up a guitar with an integrated pickup/scratchplate.

Laquercracks, I am unlikely to be able to try before I buy as I live out in the wilds of Aberdeenshire (Scotland), far far away from a guitar shop, let alone the seller of a German arch top :-)

In answer to your questions, I would like both playability and sound (both acoustic and via pickup). I'd like a recognisable vintage sound. I intend to use the guitar for recording and playing as one of my main guitars (I only have a couple - I'm not greedy). I prefer wider necks (my Spanish/classic guitar is my favourite to play) and would feel safer if the neck had a truss rod - I have no repair skills and as I said live far far away from a guitar shop.

The looks of the Broadway definitely attract me, as does the fact that it's hand made and all wood (I think I read this). However I really want that metal pick up, which I think means only one Broadway on ebay currently fits the bill and it's price is already moving ominously upwards...

What price have Broadways like these been going for recently?
karlossus

Postby karlossus » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:14 pm

Thanks Hoyerfriend, I think our posts crossed.

I'll watch the Tellson but haven't read much about them. It does have that pick - though I don't think it looks so good against the sunburst guitar as against the blonde...

I've that Hoyer in my wish list and was quite keen until I saw the blonde Framus with the pickup.

I'd certainly be interested to see your soloists if you're sure you're selling. Do these have pickups by any chance?

I'll PM you.
karlossus

Postby hoyerfriend » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:18 pm

vintage sound

what is this???

I know good sound and bad, bright, mellow, honking, etc. etc.

I am always wondering about guitars offered with having that typical "vintage" sound.
hoyerfriend

Postby lacquercracks » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:20 pm

broadways go for 5-700 normally...

they have quite narrow necks.

( can not be compared to lang because the sound is so different - can compete though , but not be compared ....pears and apples )

you can always buy a schaller pickupplate... i have one you can buy with three pickups and one with two but only one in function... they sound ok but I think they are ugly ;) and heavy :!:

tellsons are normally bang for dollars too - if the necjs are straight. so are soli, graubners rex, many musima and other DDR's

An Arnold Hoyer might be right for you..especially with a pickup. nice necks and comfy to play and not too narrow....that esquire is not a bad idea...

but you will love the broadway too if it comes to scotland Im sure...

but stay away from the framus...please !
lacquercracks

Next

Return to West Germany