hoyer identification please!

hoyer identification please!

Postby wurzle » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:40 am

hi, another new member with an interesting guitar that i can find no information on. i took it in part exchange with absolutely no idea of whether i'd shot myself in the foot or not, but i don't think so. can anyone help? the only identifying marks are of course the label, and a number on the truss rod cover (3063).
Attachments
IMG_4295.jpg
IMG_4295.jpg (34.12 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
wurzle

Re: hoyer identification please!

Postby lacquercracks » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:09 am

Its probably a "Hoyer 3063" then ;) I think they were made around 1974-75 , but I have never seen any catalogues or anything so its just a ( qualified :lol: ) guess !.

Its a "Django-style gipsy-jazz guitar" of the kind that is loved by the many enthusiasts of the style of Django Reinhard.

More pics please ! It looks really lovely.

Pics of the label might be helpful to tell more about it too.
lacquercracks

Postby wurzle » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:33 pm

hi, thanks for your post, i'm new to these forums and my girlfriend said i'm supposed to reply, not post a new entry, hope that makes sense to you! anyway, have put a few more photos and details under "gypsy hoyer". hope you enjoy them.
wurzle.
wurzle

Postby lacquercracks » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:18 pm

Then I will reply too :lol: :lol:

I saw the pics You posted. The guitra is very nice and in a very fine condition. If my livingroom was not way overcrowded with guitars I would buy it . But I need to sell something instead.....
lacquercracks

Postby frogeye » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:03 pm

Hi, this is a very pretty guitar in my book. As stated before by lacquercracks this is a 3063 made by Hoyer under Walter Hoyer during the 70's. I wouldn't be surprised if it was even made a few years later than lacquercracks suggested in particular if you find its serial number in a gold color label on the back of the headstock . To the best of my knowledge all models 306x were full body Jazz models. The 3060 was based on the Gibson L4-C but using different woods and adopting elements form the L5. The 3061 was a variation of Gibson/Epiphone Howard Roberts model and there was a 3062 that was an 16" archtop box with floating pickups like the Johnny Smith model. Your guitar should have a solid spruce top and may even have solid mahogany sides and back. The fretboard was typically ebony on 306x models. Tuners were typically Schaller "made in west germany". Finish is likely a high quality polyurethane. I have seen this model before as being for sale on eBay. It had the top professional replaced and refinished so not necessary a first choice for a collector and more a player's guitar. It was several years ago and not may people were bidding. It went for a rather modest amount of money from what I remember, sorry I really don't remember the exact price. I would expect your guitar to catch more but it is hard to tell how much. It doesn't appeal to the Gypsy Guitar scene so much as it supposedly ( I never played one..) sounds somewhat richer/fatter than your typical Selmer guitar clone thus being perceived less authentic for that type of music. So you will be mainly catering to the Hoyer collectors community and that makes it a smaller audience and you need to get to the right person at the right time. If you have some time with the sale you could get a decent price, if not you may need a little luck or settle for a little less. Hope this helps. As it relates to me I my be interested if the price fits within my budget. I happen to already own what I believe to be a 3062 which sparked my interest into your guitar. ;) Cheers.
frogeye

Postby frogeye » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:12 pm

Just checked the pics that you posted in the other thread and stand corrected as this looks very much like a solid maple back on your guitar and looks similar to what was used on my guitar. That alone should make this guitar sound different from the typical Selmers.
frogeye

Postby frogeye » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:29 pm

Trio2 low res.jpg
Trio2 low res.jpg (46.73 KiB) Viewed 971 times

The guitar on the right is also a 3063 from what I know but looks quite different from yours :shock: . This one has a 12 fret neck joint, a different headstock, and has the oval soundhole.
frogeye

Postby hoyerfriend » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:00 am

Hi,

the Hoyer on the right matches exactly the one in the catalogue. Unfortunately my scanner doesn´t work. I may shoot a foto on the weekend - please remind me if I forget.

The catalogue says maple back and rim but they came in rosewood as well:

No. 3063_2_3.JPG
(54.87 KiB) Downloaded 646 times

No. 3063_2_4.JPG
(74.5 KiB) Downloaded 646 times

and they came as D-hole version as well. I do not know before or after or at the same time.

And I did not noticed: O-hole always as 12 fret version and D-hole as 14-fret version.
As far as I can see the D-hole version always came in maple; some stained dark.

sample:

3063_D-hole-back.jpg
3063_D-hole-back.jpg (213.27 KiB) Viewed 966 times

And worth to mention:
the one on the left hands side of the trio picture is german too! Made by Jürgen Volkert, Lauf.
hoyerfriend

Postby hoyerfriend » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:43 am

Hi frogeye,

you are mentioning
and there was a 3062 that was an 16" archtop box with floating pickups like the Johnny Smith model.

I would say: the 3062 was a Barney Kessel copy according to the catalogue:

1970er_03.jpg
1970er_03.jpg (140.9 KiB) Viewed 962 times

sample from the net:

1970s_Hoyer_Model_75_klein.jpg
1970s_Hoyer_Model_75_klein.jpg (164.79 KiB) Viewed 962 times

old model No. was 75 and my looked like this one:

No.75_4_01.jpg
No.75_4_01.jpg (130.26 KiB) Viewed 962 times

(from the worm carpet seller :mrgreen: )
hoyerfriend

Postby frogeye » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:34 pm

hoyerfriend wrote:Hi frogeye,

you are mentioning
and there was a 3062 that was an 16" archtop box with floating pickups like the Johnny Smith model.

I would say: the 3062 was a Barney Kessel copy according to the catalogue:

My bad, I don't have the catalog and was recollecting from memory AKA "Senior Moment" :oops:
frogeye

Next

Return to West Germany