Egmond,Wilson, Miller,Lion,Orpheum,Caledonie,Frima and more

Not from Germany, duh

Egmond,Wilson, Miller,Lion,Orpheum,Caledonie,Frima and more

Postby lacquercracks » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:47 pm

Here are some of my Egmonds. Got about nine of them in a trade ( take them all or nothing) , and they are among the worst guitars that I have ever seen.Two of them are in playing condition and the rest, well we will see if they ever come to that point . I am told that the one in the middle is just like one John Lennon played in the Quarrymen( should be pictured in the Beatles gear-book), so it might be my most valuable guitar....hehe( I guarantee You its for sale if You should want it ).Btw they have a screw so You can adjust the neckangle, but sometimes the screw is hidden under the lacquer and is not visible unless You scrape the lacquer off.

Well all this was just to mention that there is a really great fan-site for these guitars with lots of pics and info, and Wim Markenhof who runs it is a nice guy too, if You want info about them.....

www.egmondguitars.nl and there is an english version too.
Attachments
egmond.JPG
egmond.JPG (79.09 KiB) Viewed 7533 times
lacquercracks

Re: Egmond,Wilson, Miller,Lion,Orpheum,Caledonie,Frima and more

Postby lacquercracks » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:57 pm

The rest of the names are subbrands all made by Egmond. And there are more : Rosetti,Vega, Hi-Spot,Alpha and Roderich Paesold.

Paul McCartney and George Harrison have also started out on these.

And when I say they are among the worst I have ever seen and played , I also have to say that some of them are decent. ( I have a friend with a solidbody that should be very fine sounding, but I dont know if he knows anything about it, cause he is used to play US Fenders from the sixties.....)
lacquercracks

Postby Snap » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:36 pm

I'm not quite sure about this. But i think Vega guitars were produced by Martin. They bought the Vega brand and moved the new Vega production to the Nederlands by the '70s. They used (or rented, or bought or something) the Egmond plant and sent some luthiers and engineers there to start the bussiness. Those Vegas are good guitars in the martin style, They have nothing to do with the former Egmonds or Vegas.
Snap

Postby lacquercracks » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:33 am

Egmond made very many guitars a week in their most popular days . They could sell so many instruments because they were very cheap compared to german and american instruments. So many guitarists have started out on an Egmond. It came to an end in the seventies when the asian guitars came on the market.

Wim Markenhof mentions something about the Vega and Alpha. As I understand it Vega and Alphas were Martin Company licensed guitars from the seventies, and they ( Alphas ! ? ) were made two different places: Boxtel and Best.. Best is the original Egmond place, and I think Boxtel was the homeplace of the new ( Martin ) factory. The Roderich Paesold guitars were also made there.

I am not sure whether Paesold , Vega and Alpha are real subbrands or new brands based on the remainings of the Egmond factory.

Wim mentions something about Egmond joining the Tolchin Company when making Roderich Paesold guitars in Boxtell. I am not sure what that means. But I think that the "real" Egmond as a brandname had stopped by then.
lacquercracks

Postby lacquercracks » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:38 am

please notice that there is a nice little video from the factory to be found on the bottom of the page about egmond history..
lacquercracks

Postby peer b » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:36 pm

among the worst guitars that I have ever seen, you say? I personally contribute the lousy state of the dutch guitarscene to the fact that most of us Dutchies started on one of these things - and thus never had a chance to learn properly!
Yet.. there were even worse guitars, all made in the netherlands. Symfonie, unicon, magic and lewa, to name a few..
Still.. many older guitarist have a melancholic longing for one of these icons of their youth, Egmonds are quite sought after around here. Even I bought one, a couple of years ago - the model in the foreground. But when I tried to play it.. Let's say I sold it!
Loved the pu/scratchplate, though..the raw pu's were the best thing about Egmond. Most Egmonds were bolt ons. But I even had a ' nailed on' neck once..
Egmond had a very high output in numbers, indeed. many guitars went to England, when there was nothing else avialable there.
The Egmond family had a music shop in my town, Musica, where I bought a lot of stuff. Joep, the owner, had quite a collection of Egmonds, including some more ( relatively) high end stuff, like a prototype organ guitar and some jazzers with bodies made by Hofner or Hopf.. not sure wich.
Miller guitars are supposed to be high end egmonds, used by the very first of the dutch rockers, the Tielman Brothers.

Vega and Alpha -possibly Paesold were Martin Brands. Martin bought Egmond and used the factory in Best and a workshop in Boxtel. Vega and Alpha were fine guitars, most of them direct copies of Martin-models. nothing like Egmond!! I had a Alpha D45 model w/ solid spruce top that I never should have sold..
peer b

Postby lacquercracks » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:17 pm

crazy price ......
http://cgi.ebay.de/60s-LUCKY-7-SEMI-a-l ... 240%3A1318

and I dont think beatles used them in star club, but Lennon had one with the quarrymen, and harrison and mccartney also started out on these, but not with the beatles I think.
lacquercracks

Postby Snap » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:21 pm

Yeh, The beatles played that kind of stuff... and they wear shorts too. :D

When they grew and learned a bit, They switched shorts for jeans and black leather jackets, and junk school days stuff for real guitars like Höfners and that sort.
Snap

Postby lacquercracks » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:32 pm

i just wondered a bit about that ceazy price and googlet a little ,- here is a link to what came up :

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f29/music ... 47302.html
lacquercracks

Postby Snap » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:16 pm

Music Outlet Shop! This guy auctions a myriad of guitars. Some are constantly in ebay. I know many of them since years ago and never sell. I guess he would sell easier with better pictures and descriptions. He usually only includes a single poor pic and about no details.

He has a beautiful Roger Junior constantly offered for about three years. Not so crazy priced. This other one auctioned forever, a bit crazy priced. Or this other Klira I think really crazy priced.
Snap

Next

Return to The Rest of Europe, and the UK, too